Saturday, January 19

Unexpected Afternoon in Labor & Delivery

Yesterday, we spent an unexpected afternoon in labor and delivery. I had been having lots of cramping for a few days and my doctor advised us to go to labor & delivery to ensure that I wasn't having any contractions. 

Once we got there, the nurse took my vitals and then Molly and I spent a few hours being monitored. 
The top graphs represent our heartbeats. The bottom graph represents contractions. As you can see I was having lots of "irregular" contractions (some big ones!), but was assured that at this point in my pregnancy they were quite normal, as my body prepares for labor and delivery. 


However, my doctor was concerned I may be dehydrated, which could be causing both the cramping and the amount of irregular contractions. So, they gave me an IV with fluids for a few hours and monitored us. Since my contractions weren't progressing, the nurses determined I wasn't in labor and that I could go home and rest. They also gave me some pain medication to help relieve the discomfort from the cramping. 

Last night, I slept for 12 hours and today I have spent the day resting and having a Desperate Housewives marathon, while also drinking lots & lots of fluids. 

My husband has been the best nurse, tending to my every need. 

We're so thankful that everything with Molly is alright. The nursing staff at the hospital, were all so sweet and in a way eased a lot of my fears about labor & delivery. As we left the hospital yesterday, our excitement for her arrival only grew as we saw many families awaiting to go in and see their new family member. Although we've joked a lot about how we wish Molly would hurry up and get here, and while we're very excited for her to come-we want her to take as much time as she needs to continue growing before she arrives. We are blessed to have such a healthy, baby girl...one that will hopefully continue to bake for at least another 3 weeks! 








1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, your entire family is thankful that you are well and that Molly is continuing to thrive and grow exactly where she should be!! Your family loves you both very much! xoxox

    ReplyDelete